Preparing for Advent 2014
This year, Advent begins on November 30 and continues through Christmas. How will you reflect and prepare for Christmas?
Advent Calendars (Print)
- Society of Saint John the Evangelist
- Episcopal Relief & Development
- Calendar from Merry Watters and Thomas Mousin, including daily readings
- More calendars are available for sale from Church Publishing Incorporated and Forward Movement
Advent Calendars (Digital)
- Insta Advent Calendar: You are invited to contribute to an Advent calendar on Instagram this season. Using a word for the day provided by the brothers of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist, take a photo using that word and #Adventword in the caption. Sign up to be part of the initiative.
- Pinterest Advent Calendar: The Society of Saint John the Evangelist will reveal a new image, word, and meditation on Pinterest each day in Advent. Follow the board. Want to embed the board on your website? Instructions are here.
- Advent Calendar via Email: The Society of Saint John the Evangelist offers a daily email featuring a word, meditation, and image. Subscribe now to start receiving the Advent emails.
Devotions and Meditations
- Advent Wreath Prayers for children and families
- Text and Audio Meditations from the Diocese of Maryland will be available daily throughout Advent.
- Following the Star: Daily online devotions take on a seasonal theme beginning with first Sunday in Advent on November 30. Following the Star is written for teenage youth and the adults who work with them. Subscribe to the website to receive a daily reminder or download the mobile app; d365 Daily Devotions by Passport, Inc. This service is a collaborative initiative of the Youth Ministries offices of The Episcopal Church, Presbyterian Church USA, and Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
- Living Well through Advent includes "daily encouragements" from Living Compass. It is also available as an app through iTunes.
- Photo Meditations: Join the Episcopal Formation and Vocation Offices for photo meditations throughout Advent. They will provide a word from the Sunday readings that can be used for reflection. Post a photo on your social media using #episcopalAdvent and the hashtag for that day. Follow them on social media to receive the daily reflection words.
- Devotions from leaders of The Episcopal Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Anglican Church in Canada, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada are available for each of the four weeks of Advent. Download them now.
- Cloth for the Cradle: Resources for Advent, Christmas & Epiphany by John E. Bell
- Before & After Christmas by Debra Trafton O’Neal
- Feast of Faith: Celebrating the Christian Year at Home by Kevin & Stephanie Parks
- Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany Liturgies and Prayers for Public Worship by Brian Wren
- More materials are available from Church Publishing Incorporated, Cokesbury, and Forward Movement