You can print out a report of demographic information for the area surrounding your parish (for urban areas with much smaller neighborhoods, you can request a specialized report.)
Marketing Your Parish: Advertising Best Practices for Effective Evangelism
Brief and extremely basic guide to marketing Episcopal parishes put out by TEC. Note: Does not take into consideration what happens when people actually show up! https://www.episcopalchurch.org/files/documents/marketing_your_parish_tec.pdf
Companion Material for Radical Welcome: Embracing God, The Other, and the Spirit of Transformation. https://www.churchpublishing.org/radicalwelcome
On General Welcoming and Radical Hospitality:
- Extremely basic how-to for creating an inviting congregation. (However, does not include any mention of social media/online practices).
- One-pager about multicultural inclusiveness in parishes.
- The necessary next steps for becoming a radically welcoming community.
Strategic planning resources (largely, good questions to ask discerning congregations):
Best-of Episcopal Church Foundation Vital Practices
Amp Up Your Hospitality by Kathy Copas
- Esp. thought-provoking are the “Wal-Mart/Gas Station Challenge” and “Ministry of First Impressions.”
Making Room by Richelle Thompson
- First person narrative of the importance of welcoming newcomers by guiding them through the service.
Practicing Our Slogan by Scott Gunn
- Excellent article with concrete tips about ways to help parishes see how welcoming they really are.
The Data Shows: Invite and They Will Come by Nurya Love Parish
- One priest’s experiment in using FB video ads before Christmas (spoiler: attendance went up 13%).
Christian Hospitality Vestry Papers, Sept. 2007
Tools for Evangelism Vestry Papers, Nov. 2016
Evangelism Initiatives from 815
Here are some helpful handouts from TEC’s Evangelism Initiative:
United Methodist Resources
The Methodists have the most robust mainline denominational training and resources for hospitality and welcoming.
Welcoming Ministry Online Course
Six-week online class with assignments, teacher and class discussion for $30.
Welcoming Overview includes checklists for improving church hospitality.
- Provides practical tips for follow-up with visitors.
- Article outlining the basic idea that different people visit churches for different reasons, and some suggestions for beginning to think through the challenge.
- A solid curriculum for super-basic, hands-on training for a group of ordinary parishioners. Looks dated but the content is still applicable. (From http://www.umcom.org/learn/welcoming-resources)
- Instructions and checklist/survey for guest auditors to fill out. Although if you’re interested in a guest audit, please reach out to the SFRC and they’ll get your parish set up with a guest audit and follow-up visit.
- Best part of this: “Rule of 10” which instructs parishioners to greet anyone that comes within 10 feet of them, especially people they don’t know.