The Charter for Lifelong Christian Formation notes that it is a lifelong journey with Christ, in Christ, and to Christ.
Sightlines: Spirituality & Purpose for the Path Ahead
Would you like to help your congregation explore the spirituality of aging? Sightlines: Spirituality & Purpose for the Path Ahead is a six-part program that combines guided discussion with contemplative practices to reframe how people of faith live into their later years. Sightlines offers a new view of aging -- and new tools for the spiritual toolbox.
Congregations in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington are invited to send two to three members to "train the trainer" workshops, where participants will learn to facilitate the series. Curricula and resources will be provided. At least one person on the teaching team should be grounded in contemplative prayer or practice. Sightlines is designed to be co-facilitated and neighboring congregations are encouraged to collaborate. Sightlines is a joint project of Seabury Resources for Aging and the Episcopal Diocese of Washington.
Check the Upcoming Events listing for details of training sessions.
Choosing a Curriculum
- Education for Ministry (EfM)
- Forward Movement
- Lesson Plans that Work
- Living Compass
Books for Adult Ministry
- Foster, Charles R. Educating Congregations: The Future of Christian Education (Abingdon Press, 1994)
- Fowler, James W. Becoming Adult, Becoming Christian: Adult Development and the Christian Faith (Jossey Bass, 2000)
- Gunn, Scott and Melody Wilson Shobe. Walk in Love : Episcopal Beliefs & Practices (Forward Movement, 2018)
- Linthicum, Dorothy and Janice Hicks. Redeeming Dementia: Spirituality, Theology, and Science(Church Publishing, 2018)
- Loder, James E. The Logic of the Spirit: Human Development in Theological Perspective (Jossey-Bass, 1998)
- Lytle, Julie Anne. Faith Formation 4.0: Introducing an Ecology of Faith in a Digital Age (Morehouse, 2013)
- Prentiss, Demi and J. Fletcher Lowe. Radical Sending: Go to Love and Serve (Church Publishing, 2016)
- Stokes, Kenneth. Faith is a Verb: Dynamics of Adult Faith Development (Twenty-Third Publications, 1998)