Cycle of Prayer
Diocesan Cycle of Prayer 2020 - 2021
Beginning in December 2020 we add a monthly petition to the Cycle of Prayer, to be prayed weekly. The petition for each month will highlight the ongoing work of The Strategic Plan - equip faith communities, promote spiritual growth and strive for justice.
We pray that all members of our Diocese will grow in their respect of the diversity of God’s creation.
7 - The Fifth Sunday after the Epiphany
- Theological Education Sunday
- All Seminaries, Seminarians, and Seminary Professors; Postulants and Candidates
14 - The Last Sunday after the Epiphany
- Diocesan Commission on Ministry
- Pray in thanksgiving for the life and witness of Absalom Jones (February 13)
- Ash Wednesday (February 17)
21 - The First Sunday in Lent
- Rosemont Center
28 - The Second Sunday in Lent
- St. David’s Church, DC
We pray that each congregation engages in a health assessment process.
7 - The Third Sunday in Lent
- Grace Church, Georgetown
- Grace Church, Silver Spring Parish
14 - The Fourth Sunday in Lent
- St. Patrick’s Church, DC
- St. Patrick’s Episcopal Day School, DC
21 - The Fifth Sunday in Lent
- Chapel of the Intercession, Washington Hospital Center
- Pray for all hospital, hospice, nursing home and healthcare chaplains
- Pray for all parish nurses and healthcare providers
- Chapel of the Annunciation, Church House
- The Annunciation (March 25)
28 - Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday
- Pray in thanksgiving for the life and witness of Martin Luther King, Jr. (April 4)
- Calvary Church, DC
- Church of the Atonement, DC
We pray for congregations to encourage their members to participate in a path of discipleship program.
4 - The Feast of the Resurrection: Easter Day
- Church of the Redeemer, Bethesda
- African Palms
11 - The Second Sunday of Easter
- All Parishes in the Diocese of Washington
- All Parish Altar Guilds of the Diocese
18 - The Third Sunday of Easter
- St. George’s Church, Glenn Dale
- St. George’s Church, Valley Lee
- St. George’s, DC
- International Earth Day (April 22 ) Pray for the Good Stewardship of the Earth
25 - The FourthSunday of Easter
- St. Mark’s Church, DC
- St. Mark’s Church, Fairland
- St. Philip’s Church, Laurel
- St. Philip the Evangelist Church, DC
- St. Philip’s Child Development Center, DC
- St. Philip’s Church, Baden
- Diocesan Confirmation Service (May 1) Pray for those who are to be confirmed.
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Silver Spring
- Good Shepherd Episcopal Preschool, Silver Spring
We pray for congregations to engage in understanding their history in racial inequity.
2 - The Fifth Sunday of Easter
- St. Monica and St. James, DC
9 - The Sixth Sunday of Easter
- Church of the Ascension, Gaithersburg and Iglesia La Ascención
- Church of the Ascension, Silver Spring
- Church of the Ascension, Lexington Park
- Ascension Day (May 13)
- Pray for all mothers and those who have been as mothers to us.
16 - The Seventh Sunday of Easter
- St. Dunstan’s Church, Bethesda
- Seabury Resources for Aging
- Friendship Terrace
- St. Mary’s Court
- Collington Episcopal Life Care Community
- Pray for all Seniors and their Ministries in the Church
- Pray in thanksgiving for the life and witness of Thurgood Marshall (May 17)
23 - The Day of Pentecost: Whitsunday
- St. Augustine’s Church, DC
30 - Trinity Sunday
- Trinity Church, DC
- Trinity Church, Newport & Hughesville and Old Fields Chapel
- Trinity Church, St. Mary’s City and St. Mary’s Chapel
- Trinity Church, Upper Marlboro
- Diocesan Ordination Service (June 5) Pray for those who are being ordained.
We pray for leaders of our congregations to embrace the revitalization strategies.
6 - The Second Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Columba’s Church, DC
- St. Columba’s Nursery School, DC
- St. Barnabas’ Church of the Deaf
- St. Barnabas’ Church, Leeland
- St. Barnabas’ Church, Temple Hills
13 - The Third Sunday after Pentecost
- All Faith Church, Charlotte Hall
- Christ Church, Nanjemoy
20 - The Fourth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Alban’s Church, DC and Iglesia San Albano
- Pray for all fathers and those who have been as fathers to us.
27 - The Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
- The Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
- Cathedral Chaplains and Cathedral Volunteers
We pray for leaders in our congregations to engage an offering on leadership, discipleship, or spiritual formation.
4 - The Sixth Sunday after Pentecost
- Independence Day (July 4) Pray for justice, freedom and peace for all people.
11 - The Seventh Sunday after Pentecost
- Canons and staff of the Diocese of Washington
- All Vestries, Parish Leaders and Staff Members
18 - The Eighth Sunday after Pentecost
- Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Wheaton and Misa Magdalena
- St. Christopher’s Church, New Carrollton
25 - The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. James’ Church, Indian Head
- St. James’ Church, Potomac
- St. James’ Children’s School, Potomac
- St. Anne’s Church, Damascus
We pray for all leaders in our congregations to participate in anti-racism training or sacred ground dialogues.
1 - The Tenth Sunday after Pentecost
- Church of the Transfiguration, Silver Spring
8 - The Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost
- Church of Our Saviour, Brookland
- Church of Our Saviour, Hillandale and Nuestro Salvador
15 - The Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Mary’s Church, DC
22 - The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Bartholomew’s Parish, Laytonsville
29 - The Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Albans School for Boys
- The National Cathedral School for Girls
- Beauvoir, the National Cathedral Elementary School
- Washington Episcopal School
- The Bishop John T. Walker School
We pray for each member of our congregations to invite a friend to church.
5 - The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- Campus Ministries of Howard University, University of Maryland, George Washington University, Georgetown University, American University, and St. Mary’s College
- National Association of Episcopal Schools
- Pray for all students and teachers
- Labor Day (September) Pray for all who labor, those who are unemployed, those who seek jobs, and all who must work for less than a living wage.
12 - The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- The Church of the Holy Communion, DC
- Diocesan Youth Ministry
- Diocesan Young Adult Ministry
19 - The Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Matthew’s Church/San Mateo, Hyattsville
- St. Matthew’s Day School, Hyattsville
- United Nations International Day of Peace (September 21) Pray for peace and benevolence among all nations.
26 - The Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Francis Church, Potomac
- Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Adelphi
- Pray for human treatment of all of God’s creatures, especially companion, rescue, and service animals.
We pray that all members of our congregations deepen their faith through prayer, spiritual direction, or other faith practices.
3 - The Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- Pray for church musicians and choirs
- Pray for international human rights and all organizations and individuals that promote peace and justice worldwide.
10 - The Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost
- Pray for all Native American/Indigenous and Native American/Indigenous congregations.
- Pray for all victims of terrorism, war, and violence and for those who foster and perpetuate such acts.
- World Food Day (October 16) Pray for all who are hungry, especially children.
17 - The Twentieth-first Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Luke’s Church, Bethesda
- St. Luke’s House, Bethesda
- St. Luke’s Church, Brighton
- St. Luke’s Parish, DC
24 - The Twenty- second Sunday after Pentecost
- World Mission Sunday
31 - The Twenty-third Sunday after Pentecost
- All Souls Memorial Church, All Souls Parish, DC
- All Saints’ Day (November 1)
- All Souls Day
We pray for congregations to participate in dismantling racism within their congregation and surrounding communities.
7 - All Saints’ Sunday (The Twenty-third Sunday after Pentecost)
- All Saints’ Church, Chevy Chase
- All Saints’ Pre-School, Chevy Chase
- All Saints’ Parish, Oakley
- Diocesan Cathedral Confirmation Service (November 13) – Pray for those who are to be confirmed
- Veterans’ Day (November 11) Pray for all military veterans, chaplains, personnel and their families.
14 - The Twenty-fourth Sunday after Pentecost
- St. Margaret’s Parish, DC
- Charlie’s Place Feeding Program, St. Margaret’s Parish
21 - The Last Sunday after Pentecost: The Feast of Christ the King
- Christ Church, Chaptico
- Christ Church, Clinton Parish
- Christ Church, La Plata
- Christ Church, Rockville
- Christ Episcopal School, Rockville
- Christ Church, Wayside
- Church of the Holy Comforter, DC
- Daughters of the King
- Thanksgiving Day (November 25) Pray for our national life and all of God’s blessings