Gun Violence Prevention
March for Our Lives - March, 2018
On Saturday, March 24, members of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington marched in solidarity with the students and families of March For Our Lives on the streets of Washington, D.C. demanding that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings in our schools today. Congregations of the the Diocese provided ministries of hospitality, and hundreds participated in a vigil at the National Cathedral the evening before.
See below for links to resources to stay involved in advocating for an end to gun violence, liturgical resources for congregations, and to watch video and photos from the March for Our Lives event in Washington, DC.
- Visit grassroots advocacy organizations such as Everytown for Gun Safety, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign, or Courage to End Gun Violence to connect to resources to stay involved in the movement for ending gun violence
- Episcopalians United against Gun Violence Facebook page is updated regularly with news on how the Episcopal Church is mobilizing to facilitate change.
RESOURCES FOR CONGREGATIONS
- The Episcopal Peace Fellowship has many resource including 10 Ways your Church can Reduce Gun Violence
- Bishops United Against Gun Violence has links to many liturgical resources including prayers, vigils, worship service templates
Video & Photos from March for Our Lives
Videos and photos by Jay Mallin
Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde is a member of Bishops United Against Gun Violence a group of more than 65 Episcopal bishops working to curtail the epidemic of gun violence in the United States. "We believe in a God of life in the face of death who calls our church to speak and act decisively against the unholy trinity of poverty, racism and violence," the bishops say in their mission statement.
Read more about EDOW’s commitment to gun violence prevention:
- Prayers of the People in response to Gun Violence, from St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, Dupont Circle (February 2018)
- Weeping for Orlando by Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde (June 2016)
- Why I'll Wear Orange on June 2 by Bishop Budde (April 2016)
- 2015 National Vigil for Victims of Gun Violence (December 2015)
- There Are Ways to Prevent This by Bishop Budde (May 2015)
- As Long As It Takes by Bishop Budde (March 2014)
- A Prayer for Action one year after Sandy Hook by Bishops Mariann Budde and Ian T. Douglas (December 2013)
- What Shall We Do (on the Newtown massacre) by Bishop Budde (December 2012)