Tending Our Soil: First Cohort Announced
June 24, 2021
We are pleased to announce that the following 12 congregations have accepted the invitation to join the first of three cohorts in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington’s Tending Our Soil Thriving Congregations Initiative.
- Christ Church, La Plata and Christ Church, Wayside
- Christ Church, Washington Parish
- Church of the Ascension, Sligo Parish
- Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Silver Spring
- St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church, Bethesda
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, Beltsville + Zion Parish
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, Olney
- St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church/ Iglesia Episcopal San Mateo
- St. Nicholas Episcopal Church, Germantown
- St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, K St.
- St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church
- Transfiguration Parish
These congregations are making a three-year commitment to listen to God in their congregations, their neighborhoods, and the Episcopal tradition to discern where God is calling them; reimagine or launch a new ministry so they can help people deepen their relationships with God, build strong relationships with each other, and contribute to the flourishing of local communities and the world. Please join us in praying for them.
Ultimately, Tending Our Soil will engage up to 36 congregations with twelve additional congregations joining in 2022 and 12 more in 2023. If your congregation is interested in participating in the future, please look at this promotional flyer or invite the Rev. Jenifer Gamber to give a presentation to your vestry.
About Participating Congregations
Christ Church, La Plata
Christ Church began in 1683 when English colonists built a log church on the banks of the Port Tobacco River. This small congregation grew, and with the support of a tobacco tax, a more substantial church was built in 1709. In time, Port Tobacco Village became the trade and government center of Charles County – and the third largest port in Maryland. Christ Church grew in size and influence as well, counting among its members such citizens as Thomas Stone, a signer of the Declaration of the Independence. (Port Tobacco also contained Confederate conspirators with ties to John Wilkes Booth.) In 1808, the church building was destroyed by a tornado and in 1818 replaced with a larger brick building.
The current building was built in 1884 – just as the town was declining. In the 1890s, the newly established Town of La Plata replaced Port Tobacco as the county seat. The silting of the river and a railroad through La Plata hastened the end of Port Tobacco’s importance as a trade center. At the urging of Lilla Roberts (ancestor of a current vestry member!) and Lizzie Hamilton, the vestry made the courageous decision to relocate. Loath to waste a new building, they moved it by oxcart, stone by stone, reassembling it in La Plata, again next to the County Courthouse. That historic stone building is where we gather and worship today.
In the 20th century Christ Church thrived, with vibrant Sunday School, choir and worship attendance that filled the 300-seat church. In the later decades of that century, it saw decline due to social and religious changes and internal conflict. Today Christ Church, like La Plata and Charles County, is experiencing new growth and vitality. The year of Covid restrictions has brought innovation, new ways to worship and more engagement in spiritual growth, as well as in ministries of service and justice. We are poised to make an impact in our communities and invite more people into a vibrant and growing relationship with God in Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Christ Church, Washington Parish
Christ Church Washington Parish was founded in 1794, making it almost as old as Washington DC. Nestled in the heart of the Capitol Hill neighborhood, Christ Church is a welcoming, growing, and multi-generational Episcopal congregation that cares deeply about serving the Capitol Hill community and the world beyond. We aspire to be known as a place of radical welcome, where people of all races, ages, incomes, sexual orientations and political leanings gather around the same table.
Christ Church, Wayside
Christ Church Wayside’s ministry began nearly 100 years before the Revolutionary War as one of 30 parishes created by the Maryland Assembly’s Establishment Act in 1692. The church building itself dates to the early 1700s. We have little additional information until 1750 when the Maryland Assembly voted funds to enlarge and repair the church under the direction of its rector, the Rev. Samual Claggett. Forty years later his son, Thomas John Claggett, became the first Anglican Bishop of Maryland.
The Church’s records prior to the Civil War are sketchy – some were burned and others lost during the War. However, the vestry minutes of 1864 note that the vestry voted to suspend service “because of destruction of windows and other acts of violence” until repairs could be made. The church had been used to quarter Union soldiers and also as a stable for their mounts. Finally, under the direction of the rector, Father John Todd, a contract was signed in 1869 to repair the church.
The Record Book containing the Vestry Minutes has been in continuous use since 1864. In the 20th century, Christ Church continued to serve the communities on Cobb Neck (including Cobb Island and Swan Point) as well as Newburg, sometimes with benefit of settled clergy, and sometimes with lay leadership and clergy supply. In 2013, the Vestries of Christ Church Wayside and Christ Church in La Plata (Port Tobacco Parish) agreed on a Covenant to share clergy and other aspects of ministry, now sharing musicians and holding regular joint vestry meetings.
Though small in membership, Christ Church Wayside excels in generous giving and feeding the community in many ways. They began the Wayside Food Bank, which is now housed at another church, though still actively supported by the congregation. With a newly renovated parish hall and a state of the art kitchen, we have the capacity to become a center of community life and outreach on Cobb Neck.
Church of the Ascension, Sligo Parish
Church of the Ascension (Sligo Parish), Silver Spring, Maryland’s cornerstone was laid in 1930. For the first seven years of Ascension’s life, the congregation met in the old Fire Station on Georgia Avenue. Ascension was originally a mission church of Grace Episcopal Church, Silver Spring, before being granted parish status in the Diocese. Throughout its ninety-one (91) year history, Ascension has experienced many changes and challenges, and yet has always been dedicated to social justice and outreach to those in need. Ascension was the first parish in the Diocese to elect a woman Senior Warden; the first parish to become racially integrated; and the first parish to sponsor a lesbian woman for ordination to the priesthood. Ascension has continued to grow as a welcoming and inclusive community who embraces diversity of all kinds in terms of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, relationship status, family configuration, etc. Among Ascension’s many ministries are: 1) vibrant worship and music; 2) Christian Education for all ages; 3) outreach ministries in the community (i.e., four feeding programs, walk about ministries to assist the homeless, “mustard seed ministries” which offer opportunities to minister in small, yet significant ways, and a monthly Variety Show at Springvale Terrace, our local nursing home; 4) affinity groups (i.e. a Men’s Group, a Senior’s Group, “Ladies Night out, LGBT Pride, etc.; 5) social justice initiatives (i.e., “Conversations on Race” program, our membership in AIM (Action in Montgomery), and other political/social endeavors; and 6) annual retreats, and our pilgrimage ministry, which has taken us to Ireland, the Southwest, and next year to Israel. During COVID, we have found new ways to do “church.” Live stream worship, educational programs, meetings, etc. have opened new doors for our congregational life and we look forward to our future and “tending our soil.”
Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Silver Spring
In 1959, then Bishop of Washington, Angus Dun, desired an Episcopal presence in Silver Spring near Northwood High School and Good Shepherd Episcopal Church was founded. Good Shepherd has been, and continues to be, a pastoral-sized congregation with a faithful community of parishioners. In 2002, as the result of a successful capital campaign, a new sanctuary was built. The Bishop at that time, John Bryson Chane, dedicated our new worship space and challenged the congregation saying, “You‘ve built it. Now what are you going to do with it?” At the present time, Good Shepherd counts three Vital Signs of Parish Health as particular sources of strength, Blessing Our Community, Faithful Financial Practices, and Uplifting & Inviting Worship. With an active Social Ministries Committee in the lead, we are committed to community outreach. Currently, our mission statement, “Feed My Sheep,” is embodied by partnering with Manna, Inc., Luther Rice Memorial Baptist Church, St. Luke Lutheran Church, Shepherd’s Table, Crossways Community Center, and Heifer International. Good Shepherd’s Finance Committee is faithful, committed, and diligent. Our annual Stewardship Campaign is met with a steady number of pledgers whose percentage of giving continues at a consistent rate. Our worship services are inspiring, engaging, and thought-provoking. Good Shepherd parishioners enjoy music of all kinds. Our organist, Choir, Chimes Choir and the glorious sound of congregational singing fill our services with joyful praise. Hospitality is a congregational gift, not only in welcoming seekers and searchers, but also in establishing a feeling of community, a sense of a personal relationship, and a feeling of being a family. Our desire now, as we move forward, is a stronger faith connection both in our congregation and in our community, as we work to engage deeper spiritual resources and more meaningful spiritual practices.
St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church, Bethesda
Located just over the DC line in Montgomery County, Maryland, St. Dunstan’s sits on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and the entrance to the Sumner neighborhood of Bethesda, positioning it well to minister to its surrounding community. Indeed, St. Dunstan’s was founded in 1958 as a mission of the Church of the Redeemer in Glen Echo, specifically in order to extend the mission of the Church into what was at the time a better-trafficked area of Bethesda. The congregation became an independent parish in l965 and since that time has striven to be “a neighborhood church with a heart for the world” by serving our global, national, and local communities.
For many years St. Dunstan’s boasted a robust Christian Formation program for all ages, overseen by a team of committed professionals and volunteers. However, over the past decade or so a number of those families left the parish, and St. Dunstan’s today is a smaller, older congregation than it was 20 years ago.
Despite our size, we seek to leverage our gifts and offer them joyfully to the community. We are blessed with gorgeous, spacious grounds (abutting the Capital Crescent Trail), and during the week our buildings house both a Montessori School and an early learning and extended program that serves families in Montgomery County Public Schools. We also place a high value on the arts. St. Dunstan’s has a vibrant music ministry that enriches our worship and soon will begin reaching out beyond our walls in a series of community jazz concerts. In addition, we are blessed by the presence of several visual artists in the congregation, including a “Liturgical Artist-in-Residence.”
As we look to the future, we are excited to see how God will call us to use these blessings in service to the neighborhood and the world.
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Beltsville + Zion Parish
Piscataway Parish was one of 30 parishes established in 1692 by the General Assembly of Maryland. Piscataway Parish was subdivided into several more parishes, one of which is called Zion Parish where St. John’s has its roots. One and one-half acres of land was donated and deeded September 2, 1856, for purposes of constructing a church facility. A wood-frame facility was built, consecrated August 6, 1857.
St. John’s Episcopal Church/Zion Parish, is a very caring and dedicated group of people. St. John’s is a diverse community with approximately 30% African, 15% African-American, 35% West Indian/Caribbean and 15% Caucasian. The other 5% represents Hispanic, Asian, and Multi-Racial. The Church recognizes this community through many occasions and fellowship opportunities.
The 2020 calendar year reported a membership of 264. Prior to the coronavirus pandemic, St. John’s had three services on Sundays: 7:45am (Music on occasion), 9:15am (Family service), and 11:15am (With choir) with an average of 175 combined attendances. St. John’s also has a mid-week healing service with Holy Eucharist averaging 18 in attendance.
Most of the parishioners attending St. John’s do not live in Beltsville but reside in communities within 25 miles of the church. The population of the region is racially diverse and primarily middle class, reflected in the church’s congregation.
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Olney
St. John’s, founded in 1842, is the oldest Episcopal church in continuous use in Montgomery County, MD. It has undergone numerous changes over the years including being moved on rollers by a mule team in 1910 to a better spot on church grounds when more land was acquired.
St. John’s has an average Sunday attendance of 154. While not technically qualifying as a multi-cultural parish the congregation is very diverse and recognizes several dozen countries as home. A significant number of our members of color are African, Caribbean, or Pan-Asian diaspora.
Our longest running outreach programs are African Palms and our school. In 1961, St. John’s Episcopal School opened with 22 students in grades 1-4 in the basement of the parish hall. The mission of the school is to graduate students who are academically prepared, sound in character, and of enduring faith. This fall the school is looking towards a diverse enrollment of 170+ children Pre-K to 8th grade.
Founded in 1976, African Palms sells over a million crosses to churches annually. This ministry has a dual impact, providing a wage to Tanzanians who make the crosses, and sending money back to Tanzania for grants for water projects, and health care.
As an expansion of our connection with the Diocese of Masasi in Tanzania, we are supporting eight women who are attending seminary in Tanzania.
St. John’s cultivates intergenerational links through a Prayer Partner ministry where children are paired with unrelated adults and build a relationship through praying for each other and through events such as making Advent Wreaths. We also nurture intergenerational connections through an all-ages Vacation Bible School.
The Esther Deel Ministry knits and crochets prayer shawls that are blessed and distributed to parishioners going through difficult times and blankets that are distributed to babies at their baptism.
We run monthly food drives for Olney Help, a local food bank, and run a small food pantry on site, which moved outdoors during COVID-19.
Another ministry is Our Neighbor’s House, where we furnish apartments for refugees who are relocating in the community through the State Department authorized program as administered by the International Rescue Committee.
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church/ Iglesia Episcopal San Mateo
St. Matthew’s/San Mateo is a multicultural parish made up of members from 28 countries. On June 11, 2011, the Spanish- and English-speaking congregations became one unified parish. Our parish structure is governed by our vestry who includes the Senior and Junior Wardens, two clergy, the treasurer, the clerk, and eleven members representing both the Spanish- and English-speaking communities (thirteen Latinos and five English-speaking individuals).
Our parish is alive and vibrant, with many committees and ministries--from the Guadalupana, Cooking Parents, Cleaning, and Gardening committees to the Hospitality and Welcome, Eucharistic Ministers, Evangelism, Solidarity and Youth ministries--that help enrich and inform our pastoral activities.
One of the fastest growing parishes in the diocese with more than 500 active members, St. Matthew’s/San Mateo provides Christian Education programs at all of our services (4 in Spanish and 1 in English).
St. Matthew’s/San Mateo believes in the dignity of every human being and advocates for justice for immigrants and refugees by participating in marches, protests and other activities calling for change. In solidarity, for more than a year, we have distributed food to over 300 families per week.
St. Nicholas Episcopal Church, Germantown
St. Nicholas’ Parish was founded as a mission in 1991 to serve the Darnestown-North Potomac area. In 2003 St. Nicholas achieved parish status. The campus and church building were consecrated in 2010. The Rev. Ken Howard was the founding Rector followed by The Rev. Beth O’Callaghan who was called in 2017. St. Nicholas is located at the far west end of Germantown Road near Darnestown Road.
St. Nicholas is a diverse and inclusive parish filled with joy and love for one another and for our neighbors. Our diversity is reflected in age, gender, race, ethnicity, political ideology and sexual orientation. Parishioners travel from Germantown, Boyds, North Potomac, Kentlands, Poolesville, Gaithersburg and Rockville.
Our average Sunday attendance is 76. We have one worship service at 10:00 am. Sunday School meets during part of the worship service. We plan to add a portable classroom for formation of young children and youth and to attract young families.
We offer a weekly daytime study group focused primarily around racial justice, as well as occasional evening Bible and book study groups. Our Prayer Group meets monthly. Outreach efforts include sponsoring a student at El Hogar in Honduras; Comfort Cases and Montgomery County Social Services; Road Clean Up on Darnestown Road; and bi-monthly Eucharistic Visitors at Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. We donate fresh produce from the parish vegetable garden to Nourish Now and non-perishable food to Germantown Help.
We say “St. Nicholas’ is a Place to Become and a Place to Belong.” By that we mean that St. Nicholas is a place to become or grow more fully into the stature of Christ and in love with Jesus, our neighbors and ourselves, and to belong or feel comfortable and at home in a community of faith strengthened by Jesus’ way of love.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, K Street
St. Paul’s first came to life in 1868 on 23rd Street, as a mission of St John’s Lafayette Square. In 1870 that new church was filled to capacity for what we believe to be the first celebration of the Christmas Midnight Mass on this side of The Pond. In September 1944 St Paul’s received word that we were to be moved by eminent domain to create space for GW Hospital. Any worries that this spelt the scattering of the parish were soon put to rest: the people rallied around, and in 1948 moved into our current location on 2430 K Street. A significant construction and building expansion initiative was completed in 2009.
From the start the worship and life of this community has been rooted in the celebration of the Mass, drawing inspiration from the liturgical and social ministries of the English Tractarians, and the central conviction that in the Incarnation all people are given new value and dignity. In and through the beauty and rhythm of sacramental worship we seek to be drawn ever closer to God, to find and serve Him in others. The parish has a large and well-known music ministry and a Grate Patrol, delivering breakfasts to our homeless neighbours every Saturday and Sunday.
Like many parishes we have navigated difficult seasons in our history and have contracted over the last 15+ years; our demographics are shifting, bringing both loss and new opportunity. Today we are a parish with many young professionals, singles, and retired folk, reflecting our surrounding community. The parish remained strong and faithful during the pandemic, flipping painlessly to virtual platforms, and then regathering. We are excited to invest and move into this new season, learning about ourselves and the world around, and to hear where God calls next.
St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church
In the spring of 1944, a portable frame chapel with seating capacity of 135 was erected in the neighborhood known as Hillcrest. The new mission was named "The Chapel of St. Timothy.'' The first service was conducted in September 1944, with 211 people present.The first phase of construction on the current building was begun in 1950. Parish status was approved at the 61st Diocesan convention May of 1956. Reverend John Coleman was called to be the first rector.During the 1970s under the third rector, The Reverend Edward O. Waldron, the opening of a day care center, a community school of dance, and the ministry to the aging and other outreach ministries began.
In October 1986 the Reverend Dalton D. Downs, began his 20 year tenure as rector. Under Canon Downs' capable leadership, the parish continued its growth and traditions of worship, music, service, community involvement and outreach.
St. Timothy’s is involved with the Church community on many diocesan and ecumenical levels including Samaritan Ministry. The major community outreach ministry of St. Timothy’s is its Child Development Center (CDC). The CDC has served the community for many years and currently partners with Educare DC to provide early Head-Start programs. After-school care is provided for students from a nearby school. Boy Scout Troop and Pack 1650, another major community ministry has one of the largest number of Eagle Scouts within the Horizon District. Additional ministries include providing layettes for newborns, distributing SHARE food coupons, sponsoring a Christmas party for the elderly; and distributing Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets. The annual prayer breakfasts, luncheons, teas, and crab feast attract diocesan-wide attendance. Finally, St. Timothy’s serves as a polling site for elections.
Transfiguration Parish is a vibrant, multicultural congregation serving God’s people and the communities of Central Montgomery County, since its founding as a mission in the 1960s. The Rev. Kent Marcoux began serving as our fifth Rector in January 2020 – one of many changes we are embracing in this exciting time of opportunity and growth.
Our membership is diverse, including many families from Jamaica and the Caribbean; from Nigeria, Uganda and other African countries; and from many different regions of the United States. Our members live in neighborhoods and communities throughout an area representing a 15-minute drive time to church. Our diversity reflects, in part, our surrounding community, which is remarkably diverse and growing significantly. In our immediate neighborhood we serve with Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and Jewish houses of worship, as well as other Christian denominations. This dynamic region is projected to grow steadily during the next 10 years in every age group and demographic represented.
Worship and gathering are at the heart of our community life. We celebrate joyful, Spirit-filled worship that honors our multiculturalism and includes significant multi-generational participation. We love to eat and laugh and live and love together, sharing our different cultural experiences and celebrating all that we are as God’s people. This past year we adapted our worship successfully to serve our community, while also reaching out to new people and into new fields of digital ministry.
At Transfiguration we are invested deeply in our local communities, in partnership with other leaders and organizations. This past year we supported our resident health care clinic as it served 25,000 people in the Latino and low-income communities. We continue to support Samaritan Ministries of Greater Washington as a partner parish and are founding board members of C-4, a local nonprofit serving needy families in the Colesville Our own Thrift Store will be reopening later this summer.